Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

What do I need to include to be sure individual permit application is complete?

To be complete, an application must include:

  • All of the information and signatures requested in Section A of the Application for Stormwater Permit in Northwest Florida
  • All the supplemental information, applicable to the particular activity, listed in Section C of that same form, and
  • The required fee

The District highly recommends using Section C of the application form as a check-list.  Applicants are also encouraged to list the location of the requested information as it appears in the submission package next to each item on that page and then submit it along with the rest of the application.  Not only does this help to ensure that something is not mistakenly left out, but it also helps District staff review the application more quickly by serving as an index for the critical information required.

Can I be notified about permit applications through email?

Yes. Through the ePermit portal, you can create a user account. After you create an account and log in, use the E-notification module to sign up for electronic notices.  You may also contact the District in writing to request notification for any permits currently in house and even define your area of interest.

Can I apply for my permit on the web?

Yes, you may submit applications online through the ePermit portal.  You may also submit your application and other requests to the District at your local office, by mail, or fax. 

Will wetland resource permits issued under previous Florida rules (Chapter 62-312 F.A.C. andChapter 62-346 F.A.C.), which were received before implementation of statewide ERP, still be valid?

Yes, wetland permits received under the previous rules will be valid until their expiration. If previously permitted activity is not completed before the permit expires, a new Environmental Resource Permit may be required under the new ERP rule.

What is a wetland?

According to Florida rules, a wetland means areas that are inundated or saturated by surface water or groundwater at a frequency and a duration sufficient to support, and under normal circumstances do support, a prevalence of vegetation typically adapted for life in saturated soils. Florida wetlands generally include swamps, marshes, bayheads, bogs, cypress domes and strands, sloughs, wet prairies, riverine swamps and marshes, hydric seepage slopes, tidal marshes, mangroves swamps, and other similar areas. Florida wetlands generally do not include longleaf or slash pine flatwoods with an understory dominated by saw palmetto.

What is mitigation?

Mitigation is required to offset adverse impacts to the functional value of wetlands and other surface. Mitigation types usually consist of restoration, enhancement, creation, or preservation of wetlands, other surface waters, or uplands. Mitigation can also be provided through participation in a mitigation bank.  Applicants are encouraged to consult with District staff in pre-application meetings or during the application process to help identify appropriate mitigation options.

There is no water on my property, can there still be wetlands?

Yes. Depending upon the location of your property, groundwater table levels, and the frequency and duration that the groundwater table stays at or near the surface, you may still have wetlands on you site. The presence of water is only one component of a wetland. Other indicators include soils that are hydric or alluvial, or possess characteristics that are associated with reducing soil conditions; and vegetation typically adapted for life in saturated soils.

What is ePermit and how do I use it?

ePermit (or electronic permitting) is an online application where you can submit a request, notice, or application to the District for activities covered under the ERP Rule; submit documents relating to that application; and track its review progress; all from your office, home, or mobile computer. This process also allows any interested party to search the District’s ERP permitting database for applications and other documents associated with ERP regulated activities. 

What are Institutional Control Areas? 

Information on institutional control areas and where they are located in the Northwest Florida Water Management District can be found by visiting the Florida Department of Environmental Protection’s (DEP) website at