Lobbying the District
During its 2014 session, the Florida Legislature passed Senate Bill 846 to create section 112.3261, Florida Statutes, entitled, “Lobbying before water management districts; registration and reporting.” Effective July 1, 2014, the bill requires each water management district in Florida to:
- Develop a lobbyist registration process
- Post a database to the district’s website of currently registered lobbyists/principals
- Be diligent to ascertain whether persons required to register have complied
- Not knowingly authorize a person who is not registered to lobby the district
A person may not lobby the NWFWMD until such person has registered as a lobbyist with the District Agency Clerk. Such registration shall be due upon initially being retained to lobby and is renewable on a calendar-year basis thereafter. The Florida Commission on Ethics has the authority to investigate sworn complaints that a lobbyist or principal failed to register with the NWFWMD or knowingly submitted false information in a registration.
To complete registration, please fill out the lobbyist registration form and principal’s authorization according to the instructions in the link below. Both completed documents should be submitted to the District’s Agency Clerk. NOTE: A separate registration must be submitted to each water management district that an individual intends to lobby.
- Lobbyist Registration Documents: Form, Instructions and Principal’s Authorization
- Lobbyist Registration Cancellation Form