The Division of Regulatory Services implements several programs, all with the goal of helping the District better manage and protect the important water resources of northwest Florida for all users.

Many of the District’s regulatory responsibilities are shared with other agencies such as the Florida Department of Environmental Protection, United States Army Corps of Engineers, and state and local governments.

For information about the District’s new online permitting system.

Overview of ePermit

District staff provided public training regarding utilization of the new NWFWMD ePermit Portal. Please click on the links below to review the ePermit Reference Guide and PowerPoint presentation that covers the main points of ePermit. There is also an FAQ section at the end of the presentation. Feel free to contact the District if you have questions about ePermit.

ePermit Quick Reference Guide

PowerPoint Presentation on ePermit (.pdf file)

Important note about ePermit

The ePermit system uses software that is best suited for using Google Chrome instead of Internet Explorer. To install Google Chrome, visit

Environmental Resource Permits

Environmental Resource Permits (ERP) are required for virtually all types of land development, most types of land disturbance, and/or construction of ponds, structures, ditches, and impoundments at residential, commercial, and industrial developments.

Water Use Permits

Water Use Permits (WUP) are required for the withdrawal of surface or groundwater.

Dam Safety Permits

Dam Safety Permits are required for the construction, alteration, repair, or abandonment of impoundments or dams which store, drain or divert water – including farm ponds

Well Permits

A Well Permit is required for the construction, repair, and/or abandonment of water wells.

Agricultural Surface Water Project Permits

An Agricultural and Silviculture Surface Water Project Permit is required for agricultural and/or forestry activities that may impact wetlands or other surface water resources.

Authorization for Minor Forestry Works

An Authorization for Minor Forestry Works Permit is required for the construction, alteration, repair, or abandonment of impoundments, dams, or works which impound, drain, or divert water.

Rules and References

District rules and regulations are created and adopted in order to comply with Florida Statutes and the Florida Administrative Code.

Need Help?

District personnel are always available by phone, email, or in person by appointment to help permittees and applicants understand the District’s various regulatory programs. The District encourages applicants to set up a pre-application meeting prior to submitting an application, particularly for complex permitting issues.

To streamline the business process of applying for a Northwest Florida Water Management District permit, online applications are currently available for ERP permits, water well construction permits, and agriculture (silviculture) permits. The District is dedicated to improving our online services and streamlining the permit application process.

Once you obtain a permit from the District, there may be certain activities or data reports that are required to comply with the specific conditions of the permit. Please examine your permit closely, it is a legal document and should be kept with your other important records. Many required compliance forms can be submitted on the e-Permitting site of each program.

Further information about each type of permit, whether you need one, and how to apply are found on the above pages.